Press Statement on Honorable Minoru KIUCHI, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Member of the House of Representatives of Japan visit to Eritrea from September 16 to 18, 2014.
HONORABLE Minoru KIUCHI, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Member of the House of Representatives of Japan (Liberal Democratic Party), Director of the LDP’s Foreign Affairs Division, Director, Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Former Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, Current Chair of Eritrea Japan Parliamentary Friendship League, visited Eritrea from September 16 – 18, 2014.
• Honorable KIUCHI made curtsey calls to President ISAIAS and other key government officials in Eritrea and held meeting/s with Transnational Companies (TNC) currently operating in Eritrea to exchange views and opinions concerning business opportunities.
• Honorable KIUCHIlooked into ways and means of boosting educational, cultural, sport, trade and investment relations with Eritrea based on Government of Japan’s pledges, which were made at the last Fifth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V).
• Honorable KIUCHI two-day visit to Eritrea covered Japan and Eritrea economic collaboration and exchange of opinions and ideas on ways and means to further strengthen diplomatic activities and deepen the friendly mutual relations between Japan and Eritrea with key government officials.
• On the side line of Honorable KIUCHI visit to Eritrea:
1. Bilateral was held on economic cooperation policy framework where agriculture, afforestation, water, fisheries, energy, health, infrastructure and others areas of cooperation were agreed upon; and
2. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was also signed between the Olympic and Paralympic Committee of Eritrea and SEISA Group of Japan to launch a mutual collaboration program/s (see attachment) in the TICAD V processsupported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan and Eritrean Sports Commission starting from 2014 until 2020 in a ceremony held in Asmara Palace on September 16, 2014.
TICAD V is a summit meeting that was held on African development co-organized by the Government of Japan, UN, World Bank, UNDP and AUC. TICAD V took place in Yokohama, Japan, from 1 to 3 June 2013. On the sideline of this summit H.E. Dr. Giorgis Teklemikael, Minister of National Development of the State of Eritrea held meetings with Mr. Fumio Kishida, Foreign Minister of Japan, key government officials, agencies, UNIDO and businesses.
September 16, 2014