By ESAT News,
High ranking government officials are not allowed to leave the country without the authorization of the Command Post that was set up to enforce the state of emergency declared in Ethiopia a week ago, sources disclosed to ESAT.
The ban was not included in the details of the emergency decree but sources say an internal memo sent to higher officials by the command post prohibit government officials from leaving the country without the approval of the command post.
The so called command post is run by three veteran members of the TPLF, namely Abay Tsehaye, Debretsion Gebremichael and Samora Yunis, the sources said adding Siraj Fergessa of the OPDO was just the media face of the Tigrayan clique running the command post.
The minority regime declared a state of emergency on October 9, 2016 after a year long protest by the Oromos and the Amharas against Tigrayan domination of the economy and political power.
The people of Bahir Dar and Gondar in the Amhara region held a strike this week defying the state of emergency, although the martial law prohibits strikes and protest demonstrations, among others.
Ethiopia Detains 1,600 Under State of Emergency
By BBC News,
The Ethiopian authorities have detained 1,600 people as they try to boost security under the state of emergency, a government minister has told the BBC.
A statement, quoted by state-affiliated FBC website, lists arrests in the Oromia and Amhara regions, which have recently seen massive demonstrations. This is in addition to Monday’s arrests of 1,000 people near the capital.
A six-month state of emergency has been declared in the face of a wave of unprecedented anti-government protests. Under the emergency measures, people can be detained without an arrest warrant for the duration of the state of emergency.
FBC reports that the arrests took place in at least five places, including in Shashamene, 250km (155 miles) south of the capital, Addis Ababa, where 450 people were detained. It describes all those arrested as “suspects in the recent violence” and adds that a large number of looted weapons have also been handed over.
There is no mention as to where the people are being held.
Rights groups say that at least 500 people have died during the anti-government protests over the last 11 months as a result of clashes with security forces.
Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn said last week that could be an accurate estimate, but blamed “anti-peace forces” for the trouble.
Activists have targeted commercial property, including some foreign-owned businesses.
The recent wave of demonstrations began in Oromia last November with people there protesting against a plan to expand Addis Ababa into their region. That plan has since been dropped, but the protests have continued.
There have also been demonstrations in the country’s Amhara region. The state of emergency was declared on 9 October a week after at least 55 people died in a stampede during an Oromo religious festival which turned into a protest.
Activists blamed the security forces for causing the panic, but the government said protesters in the crowd were responsible.