Eritrea’s government says Qatar has not yet explained why it withdrew 450 peacekeeping troops from the East African nation’s contested border area with Djibouti.
Djibouti has accused Eritrean troops of occupying the Dumeira mountain area shortly after Qatar’s peacekeepers left earlier this week. Qatar, which is caught up in its own diplomatic clash with other Arab nations, had mediated a territorial dispute between Djibouti and Eritrea.
In a statement sent Saturday to The Associated Press, Eritrea’s information ministry says Eritrea has not received any explanation from Qatar on its “hasty” withdrawal, which it said occurred “against the backdrop of a turbulent climate.”
Eritrea’s top diplomat to the African Union, Araia Desta, says the country has not cut ties with Qatar.
Eritrea has said it wants no confrontation with Djibouti.
— Ghideon Musa (@GhideonMusa) June 15, 2017
Eritrea Government Press Statement on Withdrawal of Qatari Troops
These are times of rapid and fluid developments in our neighborhood. News – factual and speculative – churned out in the past few days in relation to the withdrawal of Qatari troops have been many indeed.
The Government of Eritrea has so far refrained from issuing any statement. Primarily because it is not privy to, and has not to date obtained any information on, the withdrawal from the party concerned: that is the State of Qatar.
The Government of Eritrea believes that the hasty decision taken by Qatar has occurred against the backdrop of a turbulent climate. It does not, thus, see it appropriate to engage in speculative analysis at this stage.
The Government of Eritrea will make its views known when it obtains full information of the entire episode.
Ministry of Information
17 June 2017