July 8 2014 is designated as Action Day
FOR all Canadian-Eritreans in support of the continuation of consular services via the Eritrean Consulate in Toronto and keeping services available to the public.
The Coalition of Eritrean Canadian Communities and Organizations (CECCO) is calling to action all member organizations and friends by petitioning in support of the continuation of consular services in Canada via our Eritrean Consulate in Toronto.
The Eritrean Consulate in Toronto was recently the subject of much controversy over claims by the National Post and CBC, that the 2% rehabilitation tax was being extorted from expats residing in Canada.
Canadians of Eritrean origin, residing in this country, have been paying the long-standing tax without any controversy or issue since 1994. To call the 2% tax “extortion” now, is both frivolous and without legal merit. Our Criminal Code already creates offences for uttering threats, fraud and other related conduct. In all the alleged cases of threat and intimidation made in relation to the 2% tax in Canada, including the named individuals interviewed by the national media–none were given any consideration by the crown or resulted in any form of legal prosecution. Ineach case, we understand that the consulate has fully cooperated with the authorities.
Our rights to remit these taxes are found in well-established principles of public international law. A complete ban of our right to pay the 2% tax would be a violation of equality provisions under section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
CECCO believes that the Eritrean Consulate in Toronto provides essential public services for individuals who wish to exercise their rights to dual citizenship. It also provides an important connection with our ancestral homeland, and our culture.
CECCO is calling all Canadian-Eritrean and friends of Eritrea, to get fully engaged and sign the identified petitions and advocate in any possible way for the following causes:
1. Call on Canada to constructively engage with CECCO in understanding human rights issues in Eritrea and help in ending the long-standing occupation of Eritrean sovereign territory by the government of Ethiopia. The international community erred in not putting greater pressure on Ethiopia to abide by the legally sanctioned international Boundary Commission’s findings granting disputed land to Eritrea. Until the border occupation is resolved, any efforts in other areas of development will be impeded.
2. Call on Canada take the lead in prosecuting human traffickers and call for an independent investigation of human trafficking in the Horn of Africa, the Sahara and the Sinai.
3. Call on Canada to protect the dual-citizenship rights of Canadian-Eritreans, to pay the 2% rehabilitation tax. CECCO re-iterates that it is not aware of any credible evidence of Canadians of Eritrean origin who have been threatened or harassed to pay the 2% rehabilitation tax to the Eritrean consulate. And those of us that do contribute to the tax do it with our own free will.
4. Call on Canada to keep the Eritrean consulate in Toronto open and work towards fostering improved relations between Eritrea and Canada. While relations have become strained between Canada and Eritrea, bilateral trade between Canada and Eritrea has increased. According to the government of Canada, two-way merchandise trade between the countries increased from $2.92 million in 2010 to $325.8 million in 2011.
CECCO calls on Canadian-Eritrean individuals, businesses, youth and religious groups, as well as all concerned friends of Canadian-Eritreans and friends of Eritrea to create a positive and conducive ground for better relations between both countries.
CECCO believes that this will allow Canada to contribute positively towards the betterment of Canadian- Eritreans in Canada and towards peace and prosperity in Eritrea, and the Horn of Africa.
– – – – – – –
Electronic Petition Link can be found by clicking HERE
– – – – – – –
ኣገዳሲ ሓበሬታ ንኹሎም ኤርትራውያን-ካናዳውያን ዝምልከት
ኤርትራውያን-ካናዳውያን ንነዊሕ ጊዜ ኣገልግሎት ህዝባውን ቆንስላዊን ጉዳያት ዝረኽብሉ ቤት ጽሕፈት ቶሮንቶ (Eritrean Consulate In Toronto) ብውሕዳት ዘበገስዎ ሓቂ ዘይብሉ ክስታት ኣብ በዳሂ ኩነታት ከምዝርከብ ናይ ለንቀነ ናይ ዜና ማዕከናት ዝሓበርዎ መልእኽትታት ሰሚዕና።
ኩላትና ሃገራውያን ኤርትራውያን ቤት ጽሕፈት ህዝባውን ቆንስላውን ጉዳያት ቶሮንቶ ህልውነቱ ንረብሓና ቀጻልነት ስርሑ ድማ ንድልዱል ዝምድና ካናዳን ኤርትራን ዓቢ ረቋሒ ምዃኑ ተረዲእና ዝግባእ ስጉምቲ ክንወስድ ይግብኣና።
በዚ ምኽንያት’ዚ ወርሒ ሓምለ (July 2014) ናይ ጎስጓስ ወርሒ ተባሂሉ ብመልክዕ ፐቲሽን ((Petition) ይኹን ካልእ ተመሳሳሊ ጻዕርታት ክካየድ ስለዝኾነ ኩሎም ሃገራውያን ክሳተፍዎ ንዕድም።
መልእኽትና ንመንግስቲ ካናዳ፡ ብሓጺሩ ከምዚ ዝስዕብ ይኸውን። ቀጻልነት ስራሕ ናይ ቤት ጽሕፈት ህዝባውን ቆንስላውን ጉዳያት ቶሮርንቶ (Eritrean Consulate In Toronto) ንረብሓ ኤርትርውያን – ካናዳውያን ስለዝኾነ፡ ቀጻልነት ስርሑ ኣትሪርና ከምንድግፍን ከም እንጣበቐሉን ከነፍልጥ ንደሊ። ብጀካ ንጹህን ሕጋውን ዝኾነ ኣገልግሎት ካልእ ተጽዕኖታት ከምዘይ በጽሓና ክነረጋግጽ ንፈቱ።
ተግባራውነት ናይ’ዚ መልእኽቲ ድማ በዚ ዝስዕብ ስጉምቲታት ክውሰድ ተወሲኑ ኣሎ።
1. ኣብ ሙሉእ ካናዳ ዝፍረም ፐቲሽን (Petition) ተፈሪሙ ንሓሙሽተ ኣካላት መንግስቲ ካናዳ ክውሃብ።
2. ማዕረ ምስቲ ዝፍረም ፐቲሽን (Petition) ዝካየድ ኤለትሮኒክ ፐቲሽን (Electronic Petition) ብመርበብ ኢንተርነት ምፍራም።
– – – – – – – – – –
ኤለክትሮኒክ ፐቲሽን ኣብ’ዚ ዝስዕብ ይርከብ – CLICK HERE
– – – – – – – – – –
3. ሙሉእወርሒሓምለናይጎስጓስወርሒኮይኑተወሲኣሎ። ዕለት 8 ሓምለ (Action Day) ፍልይቲ መዓልቲ ናይ ጎስጓስ ንኽትከውን ተወሲና ኣላ። ኣብዚ መዓልቲ’ዚ ብስልኪ፡ ብኢመይል፡ብፋክስ፡ ንኣባላት ባይቶ (MP) ብምርካብ ጎስጓስና ክነሓይል ንኹሎም ኤርትራውያን ካናዳውያን ነተሓሳስብ። ኣብ መጨረሻ ከነተሓሳስቦ ንደሊጉዳይ ቀጻልነት ኣገልግሎት ቆንስላዊ ቤት ጽሕፈት
ንረብሓ ኤርትራውያን ስለ ዝኾነ ኩሉ ሃገራዊ፡ ንዘሎ ተጻብኦታት ኣብ ግምት ኣእትዩ ንክስዕብ ዝኽእል ኣሉታዊ ኩነታት ተረዲኡ ኣገዳስን እዋናውን ስጉምቲ ክውሰድ ይግባእ።